4 October 2008

Power Of The Rose

Last Tuesday, I came across an explanation why women likes it when given flowers. My wife had been "nagging" me lately about not giving her flowers. But she's allergic to pollens! She was given flowers before by her colleague but it did not last long in the vase. She started sneezing! So, her pleas for flowers have fallen on deaf ears, until last Tuesday.

Anyway, this 2005 research paper, An Environmental Approach to Positive Emotion: Flowers revealed that:
  • flowers, upon presentation to women, always elicited the Duchenne or true smile. Women who received flowers reported more positive moods 3 days later.
  • a flower given to men or women in an elevator elicited more positive social behavior than other stimuli.
  • flowers presented to elderly participants (55+ age) elicited positive moo reports an improved episodic memory.
  • Flowers have immediate and long-term effects on emotional reactions, mood, social behaviors and even memory for both males and females.
Now that I know the positive emotional effect of flowers on women (and men, too) I passed by the supermarket to buy two dozens of roses (peach and red coloured) on my way home from work. When I reached home I knocked on the door with the roses ready in my hands. When my wife opened the door, I gave her the roses before the customary kiss. I swore I saw the Duchenne or true smile when I looked at her face!

It has been three days since I gave the flowers and she is still smiling most of the time. Wow, such is the power of the rose!

If you want to read the research paper click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment