27 June 2009

Remembering Michael Jackson (1958-2009)

In my previous post on the death of Michael Jackson, The King of Pop, I mentioned the album Thriller. As far as I know this was the first album our family had of Jackson's music. I remember it was bought by my older brother when he went to Manila during summer vacation. How we all sang and danced to the music everytime we played the album!

The album Thriller and its songs had the most impact to me, among Jackson's many great hits. For me, all the songs in this album are great - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Baby Be Mine, The Girl Is Mine, Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, Human Nature, PYT (Pretty Young Thing) and The Lady In My Life.

I can still remember very well the Thriller video, which was done like a short movie. It was awesome! So I tried looking in YouTube if it's so I can watch it again as my way of remembering Michael Jackson. I found it and although the video doesn't have great picture quality I still enjoyed it much!

It's not only the original video I ended up watching but also that of the 1,500 plus Cebu prison inmates who danced to the tune of Thriller. This YouTube video made these prisoners world-wide celebrities in 2007 and had 20 million plus views until now. I must admit I did not watch it when it first came out.

The reason I watched this other was the news story I read in a Cebu daily newspaper about how fans of Michael Jackson have paid their tributes to the legendary singer in the comments section of this video and not in the original video. It was bizarre!

No comments:

Post a Comment